‘I have a different idea of a universal. It is of a universal rich with all that is particular, rich with all the particulars there are, the deepening of each particular, the coexistence of them all.’ Aime Cesaire
A new platform has been developed as part of Southern Perspectives to connect writers interested in south-south dialogue.
Suwiki is a network for exploring issues and activities that might be shared in common among countries outside the transatlantic metropolitan centres. This includes shared practical challenges, such as journal costs and rankings, distance from international gatherings and local support for knowledge production. It also features theoretical issues across disciplines, such as the geopolitics of knowledge, epistemological ethics and indigenous studies. Suwiki is for individuals and organisations that explore a southern perspective on a broad range of disciplines, including creative arts, humanities, professions, social and physical sciences. It applies particular to those in Africa, Latin America, South Asia and Oceania. Members can:
- Register individual field of expertise and interest
- Notify of upcoming events, calls for papers, conferences
- Profile key southern thinkers, such as Paulin Hountondji, Rabindranath Tagore, Garbiela Mistral, Epeli Hau’ofa and Raewyn Connell
- Promote common resources such as journals and websites
- Discuss issues of common concern
- relation between Indigenous and Western knowledge
- aspirations to the north and rivalry with southern neighbours
- drawing a line between localism and provincialism
- collective forms of knowledge
To register, go to the home page and fill in your details on the top right of the screen. For more information, go here.